Friday, January 23, 2009

I shaved my legs for this?

I never expected to have to think about what bra I’m wearing or have to shave my legs before going to class, but it turns out I do! I just got back from a class called physical evaluation. During these labs we learn how to evaluate a patient’s health. Each week we focus on a different system: respiratory, cardiac, gastro-intestinal, etc. The lab looks just like examination rooms, complete with curtains. They also alternate with our clinical practicum so this is just our second class. During the first class we evaluated the respiratory system. Since the prof is very unorganized we didn’t do much “groping”.

This week it was the cardiac system. Among other things it required me to take my partner’s femoral pulse (essentially in the groin), the pulse behind the knee (hence the need to shave), palpate the chest to identify intercostal space from the 2nd to the 5th... just so you get a mental picture, the intercostal spaces are essentially from the top of your breasts to the bottom. See image below.


My partner had to do the same to me. All I can say is I’m really glad I already knew my partner. Obviously, I know her a little better now that I’ve practically had to feel her up!


...

No comments: