Saturday, December 8, 2007

Let’s be honest… am I neurotic?

Maybe there is a reason I’m still single and maybe this reason is because I’m completely crazed! For the most part, I listen to my gut and, for the most part, my gut seems right. Right now, my gut is telling me something is “off” about the new guy. The thing is, I’ve been known to jump to conclusions in my search for the perfect mate. Although my conclusions have never lead me astray, I’ve been told I might not give guys a chance before giving them the boot.

So in my last attempt at a relationship, I ignored my gut and gave the guy a chance. There was one “issue” that kept coming up, but I made excuses for it… always finding a justification for said issue. However, in the end, the “issue” was too much and I gave up. I never regretted my decision and even kicked myself for ignoring my gut for so long. The issue was really MY issue with his issue… if that makes any sense! He wasn’t a bad guy and we had a great time together. I didn’t regret the 5 months we had together, I only regretted not listening to my gut… but then I tell myself, if I HAD listened to my gut, I would have only spent another lonely 5 months.

With the new guy I have an issue… and again, it’s my issue with his issue. The thing is, he’s 33 and lives with his parents. I know what you are saying… didn’t YOU live with your Mom for a mind-numbing 9 months? Well, yes, I did… however, it was clearly short-term and had a definite purpose. He, on the other hand has been living with his parents for the last 7 years. There is sort of an explanation for it. He was with a girl for 6 of those 7 years. This ended in July. As well, the girl lived about three hours away (for 4 of those 6 years) so he was staying with his parents until she moved back… at which point they would move in together. Sounds normal enough, right? Of course, being the inquisitor I am, I had to ask what happened during the two years they were in the same town. Well, it turns out he lived with his girlfriend… and his parents. She moved in to his parent’s house with him. So I tell myself it was for economical reasons. I told him I couldn’t imagine living with my ex in my Mom’s house. We would have to have separate rooms… probably on separate floors. Hah! I laughed at the idea. Then he tells me they had separate rooms while she lived with him and his parents. Is this not weird to anyone else?

I’m having trouble getting over this issue. I keep imagining his mother making his bed every morning and tucking him in every night. I Imagine her making each meal, preparing his lunch before he heads to the office and then, for supper, pre-chewing his steak for him. GAH! Why can’t I get over this!

So what am I to do? Do I ignore this nagging feeling? I mean, it’s not like there is anyone else… frig… there’s barely been anyone else for over two years! I will go out with him again and give this a chance, of course, but I only wish I could stop thinking this thru.

No comments: