Monday, June 2, 2008

Is The Universe Just Messing With Me?

I’ve had my profile up on lavalife for a month or two now. My usual routine is to have it up for a few days, get discouraged by the lack of potential mates and delete it. A few months ago I decided I would make more of an effort. I met a few dudes and many duds. It’s been over a year since I met a guy online who seemed actually interesting (that didn’t turn out to great either).

Earlier this week I started talking with a guy who seemed perfect. His profile said that he had never been married but was looking to settle down, he loves being active and loves kids. The more I talked to him, the more I liked him. He’s French, from a big family, has a job he loves, has an 8 year old son and he and his ex share custody and get along great, he’s 5’11 and completely my type, he’s funny and intelligent… what could possibly be wrong with him?

Last night we talked about meeting for a drink later on this week and I was psyched. While talking about his son I asked if he thought he wanted more kids. He told me it wasn’t an option as he had had a vasectomy a few years back.
Me: …..pause……oh.
Him: Had I been younger I might have had more, but as I got older I knew I didn’t want to be an old father. I’m happy with my decision.
Me: …..pause……oh.

This has never happened to me. I told him I wasn’t sure what to do now since I really wanted kids. What do we do now? Just stop talking? Not meet for a drink? He told me he understood completely and said he would like to keep chatting as friends. *sigh* I knew he was too good to be true.

No comments: