Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The final days

I’m not sure what I’m supposed to type right now, but I feel I should say something… my brother’s days are numbered. He’s been in the ICU since Saturday. When he went to the hospital for his dialysis on Saturday he collapsed right in front of the nurses station. His blood pressure had gone low and I believe he went into cardiac arrest. He was immediately admitted to ICU where he went into cardiac arrest four more times since Saturday (this information is a little fuzzy – no one seems to have a straight answer of exactly what is happening). Yesterday we almost lost him and the family was called in. I was in Nova Scotia in the middle of nowhere on a business retreat. Although my Mom wanted to call me, Christine insisted they wait until I come home today, as he was stable.

I saw him today. He can talk, but he pretty much just drifts in and out of sleep. They’ve made him comfortable and have told us it could be days or weeks… I doubt he’ll be here in a week. His daughter’s 10th birthday is tomorrow and I think he’s fighting hard to make it until at least Friday.

It all seems bizarre and surreal.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Danielle, I'm so sorry to hear this. Your family will be in my thoughts. Please let me know if there is anything we can do from here. Take care..

Anonymous said...

Changa, I am so sorry to hear about your brother. I'll be thinking of you and wishing your family strength over the coming days.
Meredith

Suzie said...

I'm so sorry to hear this Danielle. I'll be thinking of your brother and your family.

Anonymous said...

i'm so very sorry... you're in my thoughts...