Wednesday, May 9, 2007

I don’t like Facebook. I like Facebook. I don’t like Facebook.

First of all, I know a few of you out their probably don’t know what Facebook is (namely my family) so here is a little introduction.

Facebook is a social networking website. It was originally developed for college and university students but has since been made available to anyone with an email address. People can select to join one or more participating networks, such as a high school, place of employment, or geographic region.

Facebook – I don’t like it.
When I first joined a little over a month ago I didn’t see the point. I checked for any of my High School alum and a total of three people (out of a graduating class of 500) were listed. I barely knew anyone on the site and it seemed to be over-run by teeny boppers. The whole experience made me feel quite old.

Facebook – I like it
After about a month I got a message from a childhood friend. I was suddenly intrigued and interested in this Facebook phenomenon. I logged back in and started searching. Suddenly I was inundated with messages from childhood friends, high school buddies, old boyfriends, etc. It was fun and exciting to see what everyone is up too.

Facebook – I don’t like it
This week, Facebook is really getting to me. Seeing all these people I once knew, happily (or seemingly happily) married with kids or expecting kids is a harsh reminder of just how far I am to being in that position. It really sucks having this biological clock ticking and no way of stopping it. Even if I go the adoption route (which I’m planning on getting the ball rolling in the Fall or Winter) I’m still looking at a minimum of seven years before I have a child. Ugh. I don’t know if it’s the tiredness or the stress of buying a house, but I feel like I’m constantly reminded of the things my life is lacking lately. Don’t get me wrong, I’m extremely excited about the house and very proud for doing this on my own, but it feels like something is missing… like I should be sharing my excitement with someone other than my sister or my mom. Singledom at thirty-something sucks.

3 comments:

Lexy said...

There are probably a few of your old acquaintances that are married with kids that are envious of your singledom and freedom that comes with that. The grass isn't always greener :)

Changa said...

Thanks for the perspective Lexy! I think I was just having a « poor me » day. You’re jealous of my freedom, aren’t you. :-P

Anonymous said...

I know I'm jealous of your FREEDOM.

Kevin