Sunday, May 27, 2007

Happy 80th! I’ll drink to that!

Today was my Aunt’s 80th birthday… actually, yesterday was her birthday, but today we celebrated it. I mentally prepared myself for a boring afternoon of hob-knobbing with vague great-aunts and third cousins twice removed. To my surprise, I actually had a ball! Ok, let’s be honest… I also had a lot of wine, but even without the wine I think I would have had some fun. I got to see cousins I hadn’t seen in a while and realized I need to see them more often cause they are pretty damn cool. I also got to drink lots of really cheap cold red wine. Someone really needs to tell my Mom that red wine does not go in the fridge (cold red wine is just a sin). However, you apparently get the same buzz if it’s cold or if it’s room temperature, so all is good.

Back to subject at hand: my Aunt’s 80th. 80 years… can you imagine? That’s almost 50 years older than me! My aunt Vera has always been more of a grandmother figure to me given that my grandmother passed away when I was 12. I thought it was funny to see my mother and her bickering after the party. My mom does a lot for my aunt and I think she sometimes treats Vera like she would treat her mother… you know how you get annoyed at the silly things your mother does and you just want to roll your eyes? Well that’s how my mom is with Vera. Well I can tell that even at 80, Vera still has some wit left to her.

Mom to Vera (who lives in a senior’s home): I have two bouquets of flowers Vera, what are we going to do with them?
Vera: I’m going to bring them home.
Mom: Well how are we going to carry two vases? (Obviously she was implying that Vera couldn’t carry a vase on her own) How are you going to carry one of them?
Vera: I’ll carry it on my head. How do you think I’m going to carry a vase!

Hah! Gotta love Aunt Vera!

No comments: