Wednesday, November 14, 2007

I can still make it!

I just got home from a meeting with the Dean of science and it couldn’t have gone better. Every time I meet with this guy, he is so completely reassuring and encouraging! I just love him.

It turns out that, even if I fail math this semester, all is not lost. I can still repeat math next semester and do the follow-up class in the spring session and still be considered for entrance in my second year. YAY! What a freakin’ relief. Plus, I don’t have to redo my chemistry lab as I previously thought.

He talked to me about the selection process and how it works. Interviews are done in May and everyone who applies for the second year and has at least 2.5 GPA gets an interview. The interview committee does not get to see the interviewees GPA so their scoring and comments are completely unbiased. PHEW! You see, this was worrying me a bit because my sister works as a Lab Tech and is privy to certain information on the interview processes. Nothing secret, mind you, but since the University offers three applied technology programs (lab tech, respiratory therapy and radiology tech), we can assume the selection processes are similar. In years past, the interview committee would not meet with anyone with a GPA under 3.0. This is worrisome because although I’ve had a 3.0 average in the past, I’m not sure it’s achievable this year given my long absence from academia. Anyway, the Dean reassured me that the interview committee will be scoring solely on the interview… and let’s be honest, I will totally rock that interview! :-) After the interview is complete, the committee then combines the interview score with the GPA (each is worth 50% or the overall score) and if you make the top 9, you’re in. Since I would still be missing a math class, they would see that I’m registered for the spring session and I would receive a conditional acceptance. Voilà!

So all is not lost and I still have a chance to complete my wacky journey in three years. YAY!

Oh, and I’ve also purchased Trig for Dummies. Hah! So far it’s really simple, but as I progress through the book I’ll be catching up on some tougher theories. Let’s hope it’s enough to get me through.

2 comments:

Irene said...

Yay!

Unknown said...

Glad to hear your plans won't be off by a year. You'll wow 'em on the interview!!