Friday, November 2, 2007

Think Pink – Think Money

I went to Business Depot earlier this week and saw their new collection of think pink merchandise: staplers, pens, binders, folders, tape dispensers, you name it! I was instantly attracted to the display because I like pink and I like to support breast cancer research. I bought a pack of two pens. Plain papermate pens – but pink. It cost me four bucks!! I went back to check how much money was going to breast cancer research. A dollar from any pink product sold would go to breast cancer research… no matter what the price of the product. However, after looking around for the price of similar products that weren’t pink I found that the think pink stuff was often 2 to 6 dollars more!

Social issues have become the new marketing campaign. I wouldn’t have bought those pens had they not been for breast cancer research. And, although the research got my measly dollar, Corporate America got the rest.

Later in the day I went to Zellers and started noticing just how many think pink things there are: pillows, candy, watches, soap, CDs, etc. It’s getting a bit ridiculous. Of course, I’m glad money is going for research but I can’t help but feel these companies aren’t donating the money out of the goodness of their hearts. Most of them are jacking up the price to cover the donation and then some. And we are buying into it.

So next time you see a think pink item and are about to buy it just so your dollar will go to breast cancer research… stop and think… then take the money it would have cost you to buy the product and donate it to your local breast cancer research.

3 comments:

Foxy Renard said...

The thing is, for sure, more money no doubt goes into the pockets of corporations. That said, being in a retail environment allows charities to increase top-of-mind awareness. Someone isn't going to think to donate a buck to Breast Cancer Research once a week. However, when you're in a store and see the pink pens and go, hey, what the heck, I should do it, they get your dollar. Which nine times out of ten (okay, that's not an actual stat, hah), the consumer wouldn't have thought of donating otherwise.

So therein lies the positive. Yes, the corporation makes money. God, no, they're not simply doing it out of the goodness of their hearts. But it gets people thinking and that is something that otherwise costs charities money to do. So now it's free and they get a buck. How can that be bad?

Changa said...

I see where you're coming from, but I still feel like I'm being taken advantage of. This is probably the reason I don't work in the biz anymore and you rock at it. Hah!

DerekTheRunner said...

Sounds like a Team you and I joined last year. Just on a completely different scale.