Friday, February 29, 2008

Happy Leap Day!

2008 is a leap year which means it has 1 extra day tacked on to the end of February. I had always assumed leap year was every four years, but it seems it’s not that simple. A leap year is one that can be divided by 4, but not divided by 100 unless in can be divided by 400. Confused yet? It basically means that 1800, 1900 and 2100 are NOT leap years, but 2000 and 2400 are leap years.

Leap Year has been the traditional time that women can propose marriage. Obviously these rules don’t really apply to modern day courtship, but when the rules were stricter, women were only allowed to pop the question on one day every four years. That day was February 29th. Apparently this tradition was started in 5th century Ireland when St. Bridget complained to St. Patrick about women having to wait so long for men to get off their ass and propose! According to legend, St. Patrick said the yearning females could propose on this one day in February during the leap year.

Maybe this is an omen. Maybe today is the day where I don’t need to wait for the universe to get off its lazy ass and offer me what I want… maybe it’s the one day that I can tell the universe what I want and it has no choice but to give it to me. Hmmmm… such prospect for the day.

So what are you going to do with your extra day?

No comments: