Thursday, April 17, 2008

Are you freakin' kidding me!

I just got an email informing me that I didn’t get the summer job with the federal government. All I can say is: What. The. Fuck. It indicated that the job went to the most qualified candidate. They are telling me that 9 years in public relations, communications and marketing, managing a communications team, working with a budget of half a million, writing speeches for government officials and being interviewed by the freaking New York Times is not enough qualifications for a measly summer job? Jesus! I’d be curious to find out who else applied for the job.

Whatever. I would prefer the job at the hospital, anyway.
----------------------------------------

A few hours later…


Now that I’ve calmed down and rationalised the situation, I can see that the job likely went to a student who really needed the experience. It is a government program after all, and most likely about giving a student experience in his/her field of study rather than about paying Changa’s mortgage. The job is as far away from my current field of study so, yes; it should go to the kid who will one day be working in that field. However, they shouldn’t say the job went to the most qualified person because I don’t think that’s accurate. It's insulting.

No comments: