Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Square Peg Moments

As my blog implies, my life is made up of what I like to call Square Peg Moments. What is a Square Peg Moment? Well, it’s a moment when I stand out like a sore thumb. I’m the proverbial square peg trying to fit into a round hole. I don’t fit in with my classmates because of the age difference, but I don’t fit in with my peers either because I have a completely different lifestyle. For the most part, it puts me in some pretty humourous situations. Here are a few examples:

Moment 1

Earlier this year I interviewed for summer job. Obviously my competition were all students, most of them under 20. Things went very well, but near the end of the interview the interviewer asked me the following question: “Tell me about your last summer job, or, if you’ve never had a summer job, tell me about your favourite hobby”. It caught me off guard for a moment… I mean, my last summer job was 11 years ago!
***Square Peg Moment***

Moment 2
I’m having dinner with some friends from high school. We meet on a regular basis to catch up. All are married (or the equivalent off being married) and most have kids. We’re discussing the usual stuff: husbands, kids, homes when Daisy* pipes up: did you hear Jessica* (mutual friend) bought a new house? Well, it’s so not new. It’s actually really, really old. Having an older house myself I inquire about the age of the house. “Oh, it’s like 12 years old or something”. My house is 70+ years old, while everyone at the table has new homes they had built.
***Square Peg Moment***

Moment 3
As I’ve mentioned before, my French professor is a bit of a dud. She had missed 4 classes and was planning on missing another 4 classes right before finals. Of course, everyone complained so we ended up getting a replacement prof while she was away. It turned out to be really great because the new professor is an awesome teacher. In fact, he was my French teacher while I was in high school. The first day, while waiting for the professor, I turned to another student who I knew had attended my high school (although years after me). I told her I was excited about the new prof since I had him in high school and asked if she knew him. She said no… but he taught her parents.
***Square Peg Moment***



*not actual names

No comments: