Friday, March 9, 2007

Just for the Hill of it

Yesterday I started hill training for my half-marathon.
Hill training is supposed to help make you stronger, faster and build your endurance. Generally speaking, hill training isn’t as scary as it sounds. Basically, you run up a steep hill (about 300 meters) until you just pass the crest. Then you slowly run back down to get your heart rate settled again. You repeat a minimum of three times (adding an extra hill every week). Well, I’ve discovered in this bitter cold that you CAN do hills on a treadmill. Yesterday I did three hills at the Y. After a brief warm up I ran at a 5.0 mile/hour speed, at a 4% incline for three minutes, then the same speed at a 1% incline for another 3 minutes. Repeat as needed. It was quite the work out, but I also enjoyed the comfort and convenience of the gym!

No comments: