Thursday, March 29, 2007

Running the Stress Away

They say that running helps with stress management. Well, the way my life has been going these days, I’ll have to run a marathon to get rid of all my stress.

As many of you know, my brother has been in the hospital for the last three weeks (or has it been four... I've lost count). Things weren’t great about two weeks ago when he was admitted to the cardiac intensive care unit. It’s his heart – it’s weak. Apparently it’s common for dialysis patients and diabetics to have heart problems. He’s out of intensive care now, but is being transferred to Saint John this afternoon for tests on his heart. We don’t know what happens next. They could do surgery, they could give him medication, or they could send him back to Moncton because there is nothing that can be done. Who knows?

My Mom is heading to Saint John this afternoon with a friend so she can be with him. I’m on stand-by for the time being. I’m waiting to see what happens next. I don’t want to go to Saint John and they end up not doing anything for a week. I’m trying to use my compassionate days as wisely as possible, you know? Hopefully I’ll know more tonight and can make a decision as to whether to go to Saint John now or wait.

Other than my brother, I also have two sisters. I’m the youngest. My sister Christine has always been the “responsible” one in the family. She is always the one everyone can count on when things get rough. Well, she’s dealing with a ton of other stressful situations lately so I’m attempting to take over. Beside’s, even if she didn’t have a whole bunch of stuff to deal with it’s probably about time I step up anyway! The girl can only take so much! I’ve got some big shoes to fill, so for now, I’m going to attempt to be cool, calm and collected for my family. I CAN do this!

Disclaimer: I hate saying that I’M stressed because the truth is; it’s my brother who is going through all this crap. Sure, I can be worried about him, but he’s the one who’s in a really difficult situation and he’s the one who deserves your prayers, encouragement and positives vibes - not me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You all deserve prayers and good thoughts, not just him or just you. When a member of a family's sick, it takes a toll on everyone. I'm glad he's out of CICU, and hope they are able to help him in Saint John.

Christine's shoes are big to fill, but you can do it! Take care, and if you need anything, you know where to find me.