Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Is this the sign I've been looking for?

Holy crap. HOLY CRAP! I just got back from my meeting with the Special Programs Director and it could not have gone any better. Ok... maybe if he had said: you can skip the first two years just cause you’re cute... but other than that it could not have gone better!

1- The classes I took 13 years ago are applicable! The only ones that are questionable are the French classes. However, that’s only because they haven’t received the approval from the French department. He’s working on it.
2- I’m NOT too late to apply for the fall semester!
3- As long as I have all my courses completed I can apply directly to the second year of either program in fall 2008.
4- Many of the courses I did outside of the Science Faculty are applicable to my fourth year.
5- He’s put me in touch with the Director of Respiratory Therapy and the Director of Radiology so I can do a job shadowing for each profession.
6- He was super excited that I would be applying and even said to each program director he was sitting with “an excellent potential candidate”. Wheee! They love mature students because we generally have our shit together.


What’s next?

My mind is buzzing there is so much to think about!
1- I have to apply at the registrar soon. However I’m going to wait until I’ve done the job shadowing and got a chance to ask all kinds of questions before I take the big leap.
2- Is this going to affect my mortgage approval? I mean, I was accepted based on the fact I had a full time job. I don’t plan on talking about it at work or doing anything other than applying to the University before the house is officially mine. Is there anything else I should be aware of?
3- My mother is going to have a heart attack when I tell her about this - which won't be until everything is official. She is so not a risk taker!
4- I have to figure out if I can get out of my car lease. I hope I don’t get dinged with that one.
5- I’ll have to figure out student loans or a student line of credit, but I won’t do that before I have my house.
6- I’m going to talk to my doctor to see how she feels about this potential career (and potential for night shifts) and my sleep issues. The last thing I want to do is change careers and find out my body can’t handle shift work.
7- I’m also going to talk to that EAP counsellor I met with last week and get her opinion on the situation. I mean, I feel like it’s a right decision, but it’ll be good to have the opinion of a professional to know I’m NOT going off the deep end with this.

Anything else?!?! Man. I can’t believe I might actually be doing this.

I know not everyone believes in destiny and a chosen path, but I figured if this was not meant to be, then today's meeting would not go well. I didn't think it would go THIS well. Is this the sign pointing me in this new direction?

No comments: