Thursday, June 28, 2007

Let’s Get This Party Started

“When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life doing something, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.”

This quote from one of my favourite movies, When Harry Met Sally, is a good representation of how I am feeling these days... ok, the actual quote is when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with someone… but you get the picture.



I feel like everything is falling into place for September and all I want to do is get there right now. I’ve always been very firm about my decisions. Once the decision is made, there is no going back… although I can’t say the decision is 100% made because I still have a few pieces of the puzzle that need to fit in, but I’m definitely close. Once those pieces have come together I know what my decision will be. I feel very strongly about not having regrets in life. Everything I’ve done… every decision I’ve made has made me the person I am. I figure without the good and the bad in my life I just wouldn’t be me… and I kinda like me.

I spoke with the EAP counsellor yesterday and she thinks my plan is wonderful. I’m sure you’ve all been waiting with bated breath to find out the answer to that question! I talked about my fears of making a decision at such a challenging time in my life, but she reassured me that my decisions were not based on some need for radical change but on years of wishing things were different. I like that she said; there’s a fine line between giving it the Ol’ college try and beating a dead horse… you’ve clearly been beating a dead horse. She’s right. I’ve spent nine years in this career without feeling satisfied… it really is time to make that change. I look at it this way; if I decide not to go back to school and five years down the road I’m still unhappy in marketing, I will likely think “what if I had gone back to school”. On the other hand, if I do go back to school and five years down the road I’m unhappy with my new career, I know I WON’T be thinking “what if I had stayed in marketing”… I might, however, be thinking, Oh Crap! Now what? Hah!

I think the next five weeks are going to be effing long! I think I need to find myself a hobby from now until August.

No comments: