Monday, June 25, 2007

What’s the opposite of: the Early Bird Gets the Worm?

I think I’m late. And no, I don’t mean “late” as in I’m going to have a baby in nine months... to my knowledge you need to have sex for that. I think I’m too late to apply for fall programs. Boo. If only I had realised I could swing a life-altering change and keep my house a month ago. *sigh* It looks like the admission date was June 1st. I’m not giving up though and have already arranged to have a meeting with the director of the program (two programs – same director)tomorrow morning (Tuesday) at 10 am. Keep your fingers crossed!

What are you going to do anyway?
I’m looking at becoming a radiology technician or a respiratory therapist. I had originally looked at becoming a nutritionist, but that was mostly because I thought I could short-cut myself out of a five-year program. I could… but that would mean not being a Registered Dietician and not being able to work in a hospital, which is really what I want. I figured if I’m going to go for it, I might as well go for what I really want without taking any short-cuts. I should clarify: I’m willing to do what is within my reach - which means physiotherapy doesn’t seem to be an option as it’s a six-year program and I would have to move for most of my studies and I’m just not willing to part with my house.

Radiology Technician or Respiratory Therapist
Interestingly enough, both these programs are offered through a joint program between the NB Community College, the Université de Moncton and the Georges Dumont Hospital. It’s basically a three year program to become certified with an option of adding a fourth year to get your undergrad. In other words, I could be working after the three year certification.

The first year in both programs is exactly the same. You actually officially enter the program in your second year. Entry to the program is limited, with 6 students being accepted to Respiratory Therapy and 9 students accepted in Radiology (yikes).Here comes the interesting part… when I first went to University many moons ago, my first year was essentially the same courses as are required for these two programs. However, being stubborn I dropped a few essential classes like math and physics (oops). But don’t worry; the classes I picked up instead may come in handy later on.

So, if I can do my two math classes and my two physics classes this year, I would technically have my first year completed. I say technically because I don’t know if courses done 12+ years ago are still valid. Also, I don’t know if you can apply to enter either of these programs if you didn’t start with the group the first year. My meeting with the director will hopefully clear these things up. Pray that he has the answers I want!

Remember those classes I dropped my first year and replaced with some other stuff?
This is where they enter into play. To complete my undergrad (essentially the fourth year) I would need 21 credits from a selection of courses... among these I actually completed 15! Which means I would essentially be missing two classes to complete my undergrad – how crazy is that?

So if those classes taken forever ago are applicable, I might actually be able to complete an undergrad in three years. I could use this year to do my physics, math and one extra credit class per semester and then I would be all lined up for application to my second year (while already having completed my fourth year – are you still following me?).



I keep telling myself if it’s meant to be, it’ll happen. I just so want it to be meant to be!!

No comments: