Monday, October 1, 2007

Please tell me it gets better

School is hard. There are no ways around it – it’s hard. I feel like I’m working my ass off and based on my weekly assignments and first exam, I’m not even passing. Ugh. Current tally:
- Physics assignment #1: 50%
- Physics assignment #2: 0% (I didn’t even submit it because I couldn’t even do one problem! – This was before the tutoring sessions began)
- Math assignment #1: 47%
- Math exam #1: 53.3% (it’s 54 to pass)

I go to physics tutoring sessions 3 to 4 times a week and although it does help me with my homework, each week I’m back because I can’t figure out the problems on my own! I found out today that math tutoring begins next week, twice a week. Looks like I’ll be a steady fixture there as well. Ugh.

To get into my second year I need at least a 2.5 average. My current average, based on University Version 1.0, is 2.83. I figure if I just pass physics and math with Ds and get at least a B+ in both chemistry and nutrition I will be able to maintain the 2.5 average. However, only 9 students get into the second year and entrance is based on grade point average plus an interview (50% each). So I’m not sure 2.5 is going to cut it. :-(

Last week my chemistry teacher inspired me. He’s a cute soft-spoken little man and he really makes me laugh. His name is Hicham. Anyway, he was telling us how he used to handle exam problems that seemed complicated. He would say to himself, Hicham, you are courageous. Hicham you are not going to skip this problem. Hicham you went to all the classes and you did your homework and completed all the readings. This is just a more challenging version of what you already know. You can figure it out – just breath. :-)

So I guess I’m just going to have to use Hicham’s words… replacing Hicham with Danielle, of course and be confident in the fact that I CAN do this… right? :-S

1 comment:

Raquel said...

You can do it! Never doubt yourself. :)