Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Met the ex last night

As planned, I had supper at Mr. Maybe’s last night. He cooked a very nice meal of stew and salad. Both were made from scratch and very yummy! He even had cut out tomatoes in the shape of roses and did some fancy stuff with the carrots and radishes. :-) I think he was a little nervous about it, though because he asked me twice if it was ok and apologized because it was only a stew… ummm, dude? You made a meal from scratch! Seriously. It’s good!

After we ate, we decided to walk to Blockbuster to rent a movie. So we’re walking along chatting away when we cross a girl walking with her headphones on. She stops and says, Oh my God! Mr. Maybe? He stops and says Hi. The girl asks what he’s up too and he asks if she’s still working for the government. They chat about where they live in the neighbourhood and then he adds… so I have a little boy. The girl is shocked and looks at me and I shake my head no. He talks a little about his son and the conversation ends. As we walk away, I’m thinking, why the hell didn’t he introduce me? We get out of earshot and he tells me how weird that was. I have no idea why the conversation was weird so he asks me if I knew who that was. I tell him no, should I? Was it someone who went to school with us? He says, that was my R., my ex. It’s the first time I’ve seen her in 5 years! At this point I’m like what? Oh my God! No wonder it was weird!! R. was to him what Mike was to me, so I totally get why talking for the first time is incredibly weird… especially when it’s so completely haphazard. He apologizes for not introducing me but he was just so shocked he didn’t know what to say. I remember the first time I saw Mike. It was awkward and uncomfortable and completely surreal. It’s unimaginable to have spent 8 years with someone and then talk to him or her like a random person you knew in high school.



...

No comments: