Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Give me a W… Give me an O….

Guess what? Today’s job shadowing in radiology had lots of little wows. I think that’s definitely something. I think it’s impossible to have a perma-wow in any job, but the stuff I saw today absolutely has me wanting to see more.

The first part of my visit was in the Fluoroscopy room (I think that’s what it was). I saw a few procedures where the patient drinks a barium solution and then the x-ray is taken in real-time. You can see the solution go down and coat the oesophagus and stomach. The radiologist takes shots of the images he wants while the tech preps the patient and the solutions. I’m not sure what the radiologist was looking for, but it looked really cool and was quite fascinating. I was there for about an hour and it just flew by. I didn’t have a chance to speak with the tech because she was so busy, but I did get a chance to talk with a second year student who was doing her clinicals. It was nice to talk to someone who has been doing the program I will be doing. She said she really enjoyed the program and reassured me that the physics classes aren’t as scary as first year physics (phew).



Next up: Computerized tomography (CT scans), i.e., detailed cross-sectional images of the body. You can’t work in CT with only your undergrad – you need an additional year of study. However, this is offered through part-time distance education so it’s definitely something I could look into. The CT Scans where very cool (I’m sad that I can’t seem to find more interesting words to express my experience except COOL – but that’s exactly what it was). Anyway, I think this was my favourite area (although I didn’t get to see the OR – which I think would also be extremely fascinating). I got to see brains, hands, hips and hearts. Wheeee! It wasn’t very busy so I got a chance to talk to the more experienced techs between patients. They really gave me a good view of the job.



Finally I was off to see plain film radiological technology, i.e., x-rays of the chest, bones, joints, spine, etc. It was interesting to see how the job can be very “clear-cut”, but you still have to improvise with patients who might not have enough mobility. I like that is brings creativity into play as well.



There are still a few areas I wasn’t able to see like the Operating Room, Angiography and Emergency Procedures – but it did give me a good sense of what I would be doing. There are also so many directions I can go from there! I already mentioned CT Scans, but there is also MRIs, ultrasounds, mammography, nuclear medicine and more I can’t think of right now. I love that there are so many options available. Essentially I could do lots of lateral movement in my career without even changing hospitals! I really like change so these types of options really appeal to me.

While doing research on the field, I found an interesting quote that said: The field of radiological technology is a combination of science and art. After today’s job shadowing I can certainly see that. The work you have to do to get a patient in exactly the right position is definitely an art.

Oh - one more thing - the program accepts 9 students and year and 4 of them have the opportunity to study in Belgium or England for 2 months - how cool is that?!

So *deep breath* I think I’ve made my decision – radiology it is. I can start University in September with confidence that in September 2008 there is a viable and exciting option for me.

This is where the fear sets in – I’m really going to take that leap! It’s a freakin’ scary financial leap, but I guess I just have to jump in and not look back. Eeeek!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay! so glad you had a great day at the hospital! It's definitely scary to make a decision like this, but it's going to be so worth it at the end.

And the option to study abroad is definitely a cool perk!

DerekTheRunner said...

I can't speak from experience making that leap myself, but hey you have to do something that makes you happy. Sometimes I question my sanity in what I do. I would leave for something creative if I wasn't so much in demand and actually know that this career comes so natuaraly to me. However see my previous comment about ignoring all your personal time/lunch/blackberry rules... oops!