Tuesday, August 14, 2007

But what do you really think?

It’s strange to see the different reactions from people when I tell them I’m going back to school. I usually get one of three responses:
a)An enthusiastic: Wow! That’s awesome! Kudos to you for following your dreams
b)A look of total confusion with some congratulatory statement… often followed by, didn’t you just buy a house?
c)Radiology... but it’s so different?

I know some people really don’t get it. I don’t understand why it’s so shocking that I’m going back to school in a field completely unrelated to my current field… yeah, like an 18-year old never makes the wrong career choice?! If I wanted to stay in a similar career wouldn’t I just change jobs? I guess I find it hard to understand why people are so afraid of change since this fear doesn’t seem to exist in me.

Also, I kinda hate having to justify my actions. Yes, I DID just buy a house, but it’s all part of the plan! Hello?! I just didn’t go on vacation and decide on a career change! If only people understood just how thought out my plan actually was. You guys have seen the process... I’ve done pretty much everything to ensure I’m making the right move!

Do you ever just wonder what people really think of you? I feel like my current co-workers might gossip about me behind my back. Like: “What’s up with Changa and that weird light on her desk” or “Can you believe she just bought a house on her own” or “What the hell is she thinking going back to school” or “I bet you she suddenly decided on a career change because her brother died”, etc. I couldn’t care less if they talk about me, I just find it interesting. I guess I haven’t really opened up to my co-workers so I’m a bit of a mystery to them. If only they understood the inner workings of my complex mind. :-)

This might sounds like a rant, but it’s not. It’s just some random thoughts.

No comments: