Sunday, January 28, 2007

So much to say

May 22, 2006

I have so many things to say today, I think I need to make a list.

1. I ran my 18 km today! It wasn’t a great run… but I did it. It took me FOREVER and I only took one extended walk break. I was running for 2 hours, 47 minutes and 54 seconds! How the heck did that happen? That’s a 9:15 min/km pace. Ugh! Although some parts were actually nice, others weren’t so great… like the half-dozen times I almost cried, the one hour of having to pee really badly, the pee break in the bushes, the rain, the cold, the hunger… the important thing is I did it. The last 2 km were the worst. I couldn’t feel my fingers because they were so cold and wet and I was feeling really weak from hunger. I have to remember to buy jellybeans this week.

2. Who the heck loves the Johnny Miles Marathon? I really want to meet these people! It’s actually a nice course, but the fact that you have to pass through the start/finish area 6 times during a half-marathon and 12 times during the full marathon is really tough on the morale. I only passed through the area 4 times and found it difficult not to give up and go back to my car.

3. I’ve become a serial heart monitor killer. It’s sad, but true. My sister Suzanne gave me her heart monitor, as she wasn’t using it. I put it on today and watched the numbers flash my heart beat… moments later I watched with sadness as the numbers began to fade… dying an excruciatingly slow death. Poor heart monitor. I guess that didn’t help my run much either.

4. We have become marathon groupies. Christine and I went to the Bluenose Marathon yesterday. It was a blast! We said several times we would do this race next year. There is a lot of people and hoopla. Definitely worth it.

5. I’ve discovered a new motivating song: Gravity by Embrace. It’s been on my ipod for a while, but I never really listened to the words. I think it’s a love song, but today it was about my running journey:
Honey,
It’s been a long time coming,
And I can't stop now
Such a long time running,
And I can't stop now
Do you hear my heart beating?
Can you hear that sound?
'cause I can't help thinking
And I don't look down



6. Now I must go pump myself with lbuprophen and go lie down on the couch.

- Danielle

No comments: